NorthStandCA logo

Sheffield United Faces High Court Showdown Over £35m Dispute

Sheffield United are braced for a High Court showdown on Wednesday that could yet rip 12 points from their Championship campaign before it has truly settled.

At the heart of it all is not the club itself, but the company that bought it.

A £100m deal, a £35m problem

COH Sports Bidco Limited (CSBL), an American-based consortium, agreed to buy Sheffield United from United World in December 2024 in a deal worth just over £100m.

United World, the vehicle through which Saudi Arabian Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad Al Saud owned the Blades, says more than £35m from that agreement remains unpaid.

On 8 July, United World filed a winding-up petition against CSBL. Not against Sheffield United Football Club. Against the company that bought it.

If that £35m is not paid, or a deal is not struck, the High Court could order CSBL to be wound up. That is where the English Football League’s rulebook starts to creak under the strain.

A messy legacy

Prince Abdullah’s reign was never straightforward. He bought 50% of the club in 2013 and only took full control in 2019 after a long and bitter High Court battle.

Even on the pitch, his era left scars. Last season, Sheffield United were docked two Championship points for missed transfer payments owed to football creditors from the 2022-23 campaign, when he was still in charge.

When United World sold to CSBL, it was supposed to close that chapter. It didn’t.

CSBL made an initial payment when the takeover completed. But the first scheduled instalment, due last year, arrived late and only after a statutory demand. It hit the account on the deadline.

Now comes the bigger bill: the £35m United World says is still outstanding. CSBL has not denied the debt exists.

Enter 1919 Partners – and another twist

In June, the situation took another turn. Shares in Sheffield United were moved out of CSBL and into a new US-based company, 1919 Partners LLC, which became the “parent company of Sheffield United”.

On paper, CSBL no longer controls the club.

In practice, the faces at the top have not changed. CSBL is led by businessmen Steven Rosen and Helmy Eltoukhy, who remain on Sheffield United’s board as co-chairmen through 1919 Partners LLC.

So while Wednesday’s case is technically against CSBL, the link back to Bramall Lane is obvious.

United World has not held back. In a statement on Monday, it claimed the creation of 1919 Partners LLC was “an attempt to avoid paying CSBL’s creditors”. It said no offer had been made to settle the £35m and accused Rosen and Eltoukhy of “trying to take the club without paying for it”.

Sources close to the current Sheffield United ownership responded with a statement that swerved those specific allegations.

“We are disappointed Prince Abdullah is trying to hurt the club and its supporters with publicity stunts,” it read.

“The deal between sophisticated parties in 2024 was well-advised by his financial advisors.

“Sheffield United is financially healthy, unlike under Prince Abdullah when the club incurred a points deduction for missing payments to football creditors.

“Nonetheless, Helmy Eltoukhy and Steven Rosen invited Abdullah to reinvest in the club and join the ownership of Sheffield United and to help use his skills to support our promotion efforts.

“Helmy and Steve are focused on the sustainability of the club and the season ahead.”

United World fired back again on Tuesday. “Sophisticated and well-advised parties pay the price they agreed,” it said.

An offer of shares in the company that was sold, it argued, is not payment. “If Sheffield United is as financially healthy as its owners claim, and the owners themselves have the means they are widely reported to have, then the money can be paid.

“Paying it would answer all questions about the club’s situation at once. Instead, the owners are running a club they have not paid for and the club’s financial health, such as it is, is the result of the owners’ scheme to avoid paying for the club.”

What can the EFL actually do?

So where does the EFL fit into a fight between a former owner and a holding company?

The league’s rules draw a sharp line between a club entering administration and what they call a “group undertaking” – a parent or related company – suffering an insolvency event.

When it is the wider group rather than the club itself, the regulations tell the EFL board to weigh up several factors, including the need to protect “the integrity and continuity of the competition” and “the reputation of the league”.

If the High Court winds up CSBL, the EFL will face a stark question.

Have the club’s owners effectively shifted the shares into a new vehicle, left a large chunk of the purchase price in the old one, and walked away from that debt? If the board concludes that is what has happened, it could treat the situation as a breach and impose sanctions.

One option available is a 12-point deduction for an insolvency event linked to the club’s ownership structure.

There is precedent, if not a perfect one. In 2009, Southampton were docked 10 points after their parent company went into administration. An investigation concluded the club and its parent were “inextricably linked as one economic entity”, triggering the mandatory penalty.

Neither the EFL nor the Independent Football Regulator (IFR) has publicly commented on the transfer of shares to 1919 Partners LLC.

The IFR did confirm it is watching closely. “We are aware of the winding-up petition in relation to COH Sports Bidco,” it said on Tuesday. “We are engaging with the club and relevant organisations on this issue, but we cannot comment further at this stage.”

High Court first, then the fallout

For United World, the fear is clear. “As the former owners of SUFC, United World does not want to see SUFC facing months of uncertainty that will follow the winding-up order being granted on 19 August,” its statement said.

“But in the absence of Eltoukhy and Rosen, both billionaires, agreeing to pay what they owe, we have no alternative but to take all legal steps to protect our interests.”

So everything narrows to Wednesday’s hearing.

Either a compromise is found and the £35m dispute starts to move off the table, or the winding-up order is granted and the EFL is dragged into a decision that could reshape Sheffield United’s season before the autumn leaves fall.

The Blades have been here before with off-field turmoil. The difference this time is simple: the next ruling may not just rewrite the ownership story, it could redraw the league table.