Musiala Diagnosed with Treatable Absence Seizures After Second Collapse
Jamal Musiala has confirmed he is dealing with “treatable absence seizures” after collapsing on the pitch for the second time in four days, but the Bayern Munich winger insists there is no long-term danger to his health.
The 23-year-old went down eight minutes after coming on as a substitute in Bayern’s friendly against Heidenheim on Tuesday night, echoing a similar incident in Saturday’s game against RB Leipzig. Both moments left team-mates and supporters visibly shaken as medical staff rushed to his aid.
This time, Musiala chose to address the situation head-on.
“First things first, I am doing well. I am incredibly grateful for your messages and your support!”
he wrote on Instagram, moving quickly to calm the growing concern. “I understand that many of you are worried. I would like to put those concerns to rest today and explain the situation.
“I have been diagnosed with brief, temporary – but treatable – absence seizures resulting from a neurological dysfunction. These can lead to the kind of incidents seen recently, such as during the match against Leipzig or the game in Heidenheim.
“I know they might look alarming at first glance, but for me, they are currently part of my everyday life. I am receiving excellent medical care and remain very optimistic. FC Bayern and my personal support network are right by my side, helping me through this. Importantly, there is no further health risk involved.”
“My personal wish to face this challenge”
Musiala’s message was not just an update. It was a statement of intent.
The Germany international stressed his determination to keep playing, underlining that doctors have cleared him to continue.
“In close consultation and regular contact with the experts, it was my personal wish to face this challenge; with the medical clearance of the neurologists, I want to continue doing what helps my recovery most: simply living my life and pursuing my passion for playing football,”
he said.
On Tuesday, the sequence was as stark as it was swift. Musiala replaced Ismael Saibari after 61 minutes against Heidenheim, only to be withdrawn for Cassiano Kiala eight minutes later. He appeared dazed as he received treatment on the pitch and had to be helped off, with Bayern’s sporting director, Max Eberl, later moving to calm the situation.
“Jamal will speak about this in the near future. We knew about it and we are aware of the situation,”
Eberl said after the final whistle, hinting that the club had already been working closely with the player and medical staff.
Bayern went on to win the friendly 4-2, with Felipe Chávez, Arijon Ibrahimovic, Luis Díaz and Nathaniel Brown all on the scoresheet, but the result felt secondary. Musiala had also needed medical attention after collapsing in the Leipzig match, and two such episodes in quick succession inevitably sharpened focus on his condition.
The winger has made it clear he intends to meet that scrutiny on his own terms – with transparency, medical backing and an unshaken commitment to keep playing the game that defines his career.






