NorthStandCA logo

Carrick Rejects Claims of Easy Start for United

Michael Carrick is having none of it. Hull away, Ipswich at home – promoted sides or not – the Manchester United manager refuses to file the opening fortnight under “gentle introduction.”

United kick off their campaign at Hull on Saturday before welcoming Ipswich to Old Trafford eight days later. On paper, two newcomers from the Championship. In Carrick’s mind, two serious early examinations.

“For all of us to know this league, there’s no favourable start, I think it’s a tough start,” he said. “A promoted team away from home is a tough game.

“I’ve been involved in them in the past so I’m fully aware of what’s coming at us on Saturday, what we’ve got to be ready for. So it’s not favourable. It’s an easy thing to throw out there. But it’s pretty ridiculous in a certain way, [we are] not taking it that way at all.”

No easing in. No soft launch. Carrick wants that message nailed down before a ball is kicked.

From stabiliser to contender?

The 45-year-old walked into a club drifting last season and dragged it back on course. Taking interim charge in January, he steered United to third place, then earned the job permanently four months later.

Now the obvious question hangs over him: is a title challenge realistic?

“It is going to be a jump,” he admitted. “I would never say we can’t – I don’t believe that. But it’s about what we are capable of doing as a group.

The run of form we had last season gives us a lot of confidence, but we know there is a whole new step to make. We are pushing to do that. It’s exciting. We have the potential to achieve things and we will definitely give it everything we can. We have to believe we are a good team and can do good things.”

The confidence is real, but so is the caution. Carrick leans on the collective, not the badge, to explain United’s prospects. Last season’s surge is a platform, not a guarantee.

Squad still under construction

Behind the scenes, United are trying to arm him for that next step. The club are hopeful of landing Carlos Baleba from Brighton, aiming to drive the fee below £75m as they look to add another midfielder to Carrick’s core.

They also remain active in the hunt for a left-back, determined to come out of the window stronger than they went in.

“We are looking to strengthen the squad, working towards that,” Carrick said. “We are trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it and are in a good way to doing that so far.”

The message is clear: United are not done. Not in the market, and not in their rebuild.

Early fitness concern

One cloud over the opening weekend is Mason Mount. The midfielder’s availability for the trip to Hull is in doubt after he picked up a knock, leaving Carrick with an unwanted selection question as he tries to start the season with momentum.

Promoted opposition, a manager pushing back against complacency, a squad still being shaped in the final days of the window. For United under Carrick, this is not a gentle opening chapter. It already feels like a test of how serious they are about climbing from third place to something far bigger.