NorthStandCA logo

Tonda Eckert Charged with Misconduct Amid Southampton Spygate Scandal

Southampton head coach Tonda Eckert has been formally charged with misconduct by the Football Association, dragging the club back into the harsh glare of the Spygate scandal just as it tried to move on.

The FA has accused Eckert of three breaches of rule E3.1, covering alleged misconduct between December 2025 and May 2026. The charge centres on his role in a covert operation that saw Southampton staff spy on three rival clubs during last season’s Championship campaign.

Those actions cost Saints their shot at promotion.

They were thrown out of the Championship play-offs in May after admitting they had monitored opponents in secret. An independent disciplinary commission did not mince its words, describing the spying as a “contrived and determined plan from the top down” and stating that the operation had been authorised by Eckert himself.

That ruling triggered a separate FA investigation, focused not just on what happened but on who knew, who ordered it and who carried it out. The governing body has now moved directly against the head coach.

In a statement, the FA outlined the core of its case. It is alleged that Eckert “acted in an improper manner and/or brought the game into disrepute by directing and/or authorising the observation of training sessions” involving three clubs: Oxford United, Ipswich Town and Middlesbrough.

The English Football League had already charged Southampton with secretly watching Oxford and Ipswich training sessions, as well as filming Middlesbrough as they prepared for the first leg of the play-off semi-final. Southampton still went on to beat Boro over two legs on the pitch, but that victory was wiped from the record. After Saints’ expulsion, Middlesbrough were reinstated to the final, where they lost to Hull City.

Now the focus is squarely on Eckert. He has until next Tuesday to respond to the FA’s charges.

Southampton, for their part, moved quickly to acknowledge the development. In a club statement, they and Eckert confirmed they “acknowledge today’s charges from the FA relating to a breach of rule E3.1” and stressed their intention to stay engaged with the process.

“Tonda and the club will continue to co-operate fully and openly with the FA,” the statement read, before pivoting firmly towards the future. The club underlined that their attention is on preparations for the 2026-27 Championship season and reiterated their backing for the head coach: “The club remains fully supportive of Tonda and his staff as we work towards our ambition of returning to the Premier League.”

They added that they are “unable to comment further while the process remains ongoing”, promising an update to supporters when they are able to speak more freely.

That stance reflects the line drawn months earlier by Southampton owner Dragan Solak. In June, Solak told BBC Sport he would not sack Eckert despite what he called the “mistake” of the head coach, arguing that the club had already been punished enough by their expulsion from the play-offs.

Eckert himself has not tried to distance his name from the scandal. Speaking recently to BBC Radio Solent, he admitted he had authorised the espionage and accepted the fallout.

“It’s tough to read some of the things that are out there, I’ve held my hand up for this judgement on something I have authorised,” he said. “I am responsible and I apologise for bad judgement; we’ve been in now for a week and there comes a point to look forward and from the first day back in, there’s been lots of smiles and a good energy in the place again.”

The FA’s charge now tests that fragile optimism. Southampton are trying to rebuild a dressing room and a reputation at the same time, with a coach who remains both central to their plans and central to the case.

The legal process will run its course. The Championship season will not wait.