NorthStandCA logo

Liverpool Cool Interest in Arsenal Starlet Ethan Nwaneri

Liverpool have cooled talk of a move for Arsenal starlet Ethan Nwaneri, despite holding what has been described as “admiration for his abilities”.

On Wednesday, speculation exploded on social media when a “team of five elite reporters” claimed on X that Liverpool and Arsenal had been “locked in intense, high-level talks ALL DAY” over the teenager, adding that Arsenal were looking to sell him this summer.

That narrative has been sharply challenged.

Anfield Sector moved to shut down the idea of Liverpool launching a bid, posting that while Liverpool rate Nwaneri, there is “no desire to complete a transfer currently as things stand”. For a club searching for a long-term heir to Mohamed Salah on the right flank, it is a notable stance.

Liverpool’s winger plan points elsewhere

Liverpool’s recruitment focus in wide areas remains fixed on Paris Saint-Germain duo Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye. Both are regarded as primary targets to refresh the attacking line, with Nwaneri viewed as a far more left-field option who has only recently entered the wider conversation.

PSG’s demands are eye-watering. The French champions have quoted around €200m (£171m) for Barcola and Mbaye together, a figure Liverpool are trying to drag down in negotiations. The Merseyside club’s need is clear; the solution, far less so.

Nwaneri, capable of operating as a right winger or as a No 10, would tick several tactical boxes, but for now Liverpool are not preparing to test Arsenal’s resolve.

Arsenal’s stance: open, but not pushing

Arsenal CEO Richard Garlick addressed the futures of Nwaneri and fellow academy talent Myles Lewis-Skelly amid mounting speculation.

“There’s been a lot of speculation around players,” he said. “I can’t stop other clubs being interested. I think Myles has had a fantastic end to last season and has started this one really well – we’re very, very happy with him.

“Ethan has had a great pre-season as well and I think it’s just a case of looking at what opportunities there are that will help both of those in terms of their career moving forward. We are not actively looking at selling those homegrown players but if the right opportunity came up – right for them and the club – we’d obviously consider that.”

That is the balance Arsenal are trying to strike: not actively touting their brightest prospects, but not slamming the door on major offers either, especially with homegrown value at a premium.

Nwaneri market heats up

While Liverpool step back, the queue elsewhere grows.

Fabrizio Romano outlined the scale of interest on Monday, detailing how AC Milan have made contact with Arsenal, as have clubs from Germany and Galatasaray. On top of that, other Premier League sides are circling.

“There is a feeling at Arsenal that Premier League clubs are now going to knock on the door and try to get a deal done for Ethan Nwaneri,” Romano said, adding that the expectation is for “a lot of proposals and movement”.

The decision will ultimately rest with Nwaneri, his agents and his family. At 17, he stands at a major crossroads, with Arsenal braced for what could become one of the window’s more intriguing sagas.

Borussia Dortmund are also in the frame. As revealed by TEAMtalk, the Bundesliga club are actively hunting a new winger and hold concrete interest in Nwaneri, a profile that fits their long-standing model of developing elite young talent and selling at a premium.

Reports value the England youth international at between £35m and £50m, and Arsenal are expected to explore the inclusion of a buy-back clause in any permanent deal.

Liverpool, then, look set to watch this one from the outside. The race for Ethan Nwaneri is forming fast – just without the club many assumed would be leading it.