NorthStandCA logo

Roy Keane's Concerns Over Manchester United's Defence Ahead of New Season

Roy Keane fears Manchester United are heading into the new Premier League season with a soft centre at the back – even as he applauds the club’s sharper work in the transfer market.

The former United captain has welcomed the shift in recruitment under Michael Carrick, with the club moving for players who already understand the demands of English football. But for all the smart additions in midfield, Keane believes the defence remains the glaring issue.

Keane impressed by smarter recruitment

United have rebuilt the heart of Carrick’s side over the summer. Youri Tielemans and Andrey Santos have arrived to bolster a midfield stripped of Casemiro, who left on a free, and hit by Manuel Ugarte’s serious World Cup injury. Brighton’s Carlos Baleba is also on the brink of a £65million deal, with a further £5m in add-ons, as the club races to restock its engine room.

Speaking on the Stick to Football podcast, Keane acknowledged the change in approach.

“We have to give United credit for a little bit,” he said. “The recent recruitment, they have come back to players who know the Premier League. That’s been a big one.”

United’s summer so far has been built around that idea: players with experience of the league, or at least with profiles that don’t scream “galáctico” but hint at value and upside.

“It’s obviously the same mindset this year, bringing players in who are maybe under the radar, not your huge money,” Keane continued. “Some of Man United’s greatest signings going back over the last 20 or 30 years have been players under the radar. It’s not always necessarily about spending £100m on somebody.”

The praise, though, came with a sharp warning.

“I think these players will be good for Man United,” he said, “but being good and trying to win a league title… I think that defence is the big problem.”

Defensive doubts overshadow midfield rebuild

That single line cuts to the heart of United’s dilemma. Carrick now has fresh legs and variety in midfield, but the back line – so often exposed in recent seasons – remains, in Keane’s eyes, the fault line that could crack under pressure.

United’s business has clearly been shaped by past mistakes. The club has stepped away from several big-money pursuits, including Mateus Fernandes and Sandro Tonali, who both ended up at Tottenham Hotspur, and Elliot Anderson, who crossed to Manchester City.

Keane backed the decision to walk away once prices spiralled.

“I think the rumours are that they were told that the fees were going to keep going up and at some stage you have to back away, don’t you?” he said.

United, he argued, are now shopping in a different lane.

“You look at their other signings though, United seem to be in that bracket of buying lads for £50, 60m. They obviously had their fingers burned over the last few years, but again they were buying players who weren’t used to the Premier League.”

The message is clear: the club has learned some lessons, but the real test will come when that rebalanced squad is asked to defend leads away from home on cold, frantic afternoons.

Clock ticking as season kicks off

United still have time to act. The transfer window does not close until 11pm on September 1, leaving room for Carrick and the recruitment team to address the concerns Keane has thrown into the spotlight.

There is no easing-in period on the pitch. Carrick’s men open their Premier League campaign at newly-promoted Hull City on Saturday at 12:30pm. The midfield will look different. The bench will look deeper.

The question is whether the defence, as it stands, can carry the weight of United’s ambitions.