NorthStandCA logo

Newcastle United Eye Youssouf Fofana Amid Midfield Rebuild

Newcastle United’s midfield rebuild has taken another twist, with AC Milan’s Youssouf Fofana emerging as the latest name on a rapidly evolving shortlist.

With a little over two weeks left in the transfer window, Matthias Jaissle is still hunting for both authority and depth in the middle of the park after the exits of Bruno Guimaraes and Sandro Tonali ripped out the core of his engine room. Newcastle have sounded out Bayern Munich over Joao Palhinha and kept a close eye on Tottenham’s Lucas Bergvall. Now, attention has swung to Serie A.

Fofana pushed towards Milan exit

Italian journalist Matteo Moretto reported on Saturday that Newcastle have already made an enquiry for Fofana, who has been told directly by Milan that he is no longer part of their plans.

“Fofana is on his way out, and he was informed of this in person,” Moretto said, via MilanNews, stressing that the situation is still at an early stage. “I can assure you that there aren't any advanced negotiations with any specific club at this time.”

That hasn’t stopped interest building. According to Moretto, three clubs have already approached Milan to understand the 27-year-old’s position.

“I can tell you that Nottingham have inquired, Newcastle have inquired, and Juventus have inquired,” he confirmed.

So far, it is Juventus who appear to be pushing hardest. Moretto described Fofana as “certainly an option” for the Turin side and revealed that Juve and Milan have already discussed potential scenarios and how a deal might take shape.

A short Milan stay, a potentially modest fee

Fofana only arrived at San Siro earlier this year, joining from Monaco in 2024 for around €20 million (£17.3 million). He is under contract until 2028, but Milan’s stance has opened the door for a relatively swift departure.

Reports differ slightly on the exact asking price, yet most estimates fall in the €15–20 million bracket (roughly £13–17 million). That range would make Fofana significantly cheaper than some of Newcastle’s other midfield targets, including Palhinha, whose fee has been a major stumbling block for several suitors over the past year.

For a club needing multiple reinforcements rather than a single marquee name, the numbers are hard to ignore.

Newcastle’s interest still at enquiry stage

For now, though, Newcastle’s move remains exploratory rather than decisive. There is no suggestion of a formal bid, no sign of negotiations entering a concrete phase, and no indication that Milan are close to an agreement with anyone.

Moretto underlined that point again: “There aren't any advanced negotiations with any specific club at this time.”

The race, then, is open. Juventus are probing more seriously, Nottingham Forest are in the conversation, and Newcastle are watching closely as they weigh Fofana against Palhinha, Bergvall and the rest of a growing list.

The clock is ticking. Jaissle needs a new heartbeat in midfield. Whether Fofana becomes that solution, or simply another name that slipped past, will say plenty about how Newcastle intend to shape this new era.