Tottenham Faces Injury Challenges Ahead of Premier League Opener
Tottenham will walk into their Premier League opener at Brentford with fresh faces on show and some big holes in the team sheet.
New captain Micky van de Ven will not be there. The defender, handed the armband ahead of the new campaign, missed the entire pre-season after returning late from World Cup duty and, as Roberto De Zerbi confirmed on Friday, will not even make the squad for the trip.
Vice-captain Pedro Porro is also ruled out. De Zerbi said the full-back will play no part, stripping Spurs of both their newly appointed leaders before a ball has been kicked in the league.
The problems do not stop there. Pape Matar Sarr has suffered a hamstring injury. The issue is not considered serious, but it is enough to sideline the midfielder this weekend and force De Zerbi into an early reshuffle.
There is at least a flicker of good news. Destiny Udogie, James Maddison, Dominic Solanke and Mateus Fernandes all trained ahead of the short journey across London. De Zerbi said they would be “inside”, a strong hint that all four are in line to make the matchday squad and inject some much-needed quality and familiarity into a patched-up side.
Fernandes, the headline summer signing from West Ham for £85m, remains a frustration. A calf problem has dogged him since Spurs’ pre-season tour of New Zealand and Australia, and he will not start at Brentford as the club continues to manage his fitness carefully.
De Zerbi has made his stance clear: no gambles. After last season’s injury crisis ripped through Tottenham’s campaign, the head coach is refusing to rush anyone back in August. The opener may be bruised by absences, but he is betting that caution now will spare Spurs a repeat of the chaos that derailed them last year.





