Rodri Joins Barcelona in £65m Deal
Barcelona have landed one of the game’s dominant midfielders, confirming the signing of Rodri from Manchester City in a deal worth around £65m.
The 2024 Ballon d'Or winner has agreed a four-year contract at the Nou Camp, pulling him back into La Liga for the first time since he left Atletico Madrid in 2019. At 30, he arrives as a ready-made leader for a Barcelona side still rebuilding its identity.
End of an era at Manchester City
Rodri’s departure closes a glittering seven-year spell in Manchester. Signed in 2019, he went on to make 298 appearances and became the metronome of Pep Guardiola’s side, the reference point in a team stacked with stars.
The honours list is heavy. Four Premier League titles. Two FA Cups. Three EFL Cups. And, crowning it all, the Champions League in 2023. He leaves as one of the defining midfielders of City’s modern era.
Injuries disrupted his final two seasons at the Etihad, but he timed his resurgence perfectly. This summer’s World Cup saw him back at his commanding best, dictating games and driving Spain to their second world title. He left the tournament as player of the tournament, a reminder of his status at the very top of the game.
An emotional farewell
Rodri addressed Manchester City supporters with a message that underlined how deeply the club and city had shaped him.
"I am leaving the club with a huge sense of pride about what we have achieved and gratitude too for so many amazing memories.
"What we have done together in these years is something both very special and unforgettable.
"City didn't just make me a grow as a player. They made me grow as a human. I saw my brother graduating from Manchester Metropolitan University. I could see my girlfriend working for the NHS. Manchester shaped my whole life."
He was entering the final 12 months of the contract he signed in 2022. City wanted to extend it. Talks took place. No agreement came.
Barcelona beat Real Madrid to the punch
For a long stretch, it looked like Rodri might end up in white, not blaugrana. Real Madrid were considered favourites, with the midfielder himself acknowledging the lure when speaking to Spanish radio in March.
"There are more players who have taken that path. Not directly, but over time. You can't turn down the best clubs in the world," the former Atletico man said when asked about the prospect of joining Real Madrid.
The storyline felt familiar: another elite player moving into the Bernabeu orbit. Then the move faded. Real Madrid ended their interest, leaving the door open.
Barcelona had already done their homework. Sources told BBC Sport the Catalan club had secured Rodri’s approval to open talks with City. Their first bid, at £38.5m, was swiftly rejected. The negotiation dragged, the price climbed, and the two clubs finally shook hands on a figure well above that initial offer.
On Monday, Rodri flew into Barcelona, stepped through the arrivals hall and summed up the moment with one word that will resonate with supporters: a "dream" to play for the club.
Now comes the real question: can the man who anchored an era at Manchester City now become the pillar around which Barcelona build their next great team?






