NorthStandCA logo

Manchester United Lead Race for Edmond Tapsoba

Manchester United have moved to the front of the queue for Bayer Leverkusen defender Edmond Tapsoba, edging ahead of Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United in the battle for one of the Bundesliga’s most coveted centre-backs.

United step up Tapsoba pursuit

German outlet Fussball Daten reported earlier in the week that all three Premier League clubs had made contact with Tapsoba’s camp to explore a deal. The 27-year-old, a cornerstone of Leverkusen’s title-winning back line, has built a reputation as one of the most complete central defenders in Germany.

TEAMtalk’s latest update pushes the story on. Their information is that United are now “leading the race”, with talks between the club and the player’s representatives described as the “most advanced” so far. Spurs and Newcastle remain in the conversation, but United have accelerated.

Leverkusen, for their part, are standing firm on the numbers. According to TEAMtalk, the German champions have slapped a €50million (£42.8m / $58.4m) valuation on Tapsoba. He signed a contract extension earlier this year running to 2031, and the club would prefer to keep him, yet they have left the door ajar for a bid that hits their price.

The attraction is obvious. Tapsoba brings physical power, recovery pace and the calm to build play from the back, while covering huge spaces in behind. That blend has made him a standout in the Bundesliga and a natural target for Premier League sides looking to modernise their defence.

INEOS under pressure to back Carrick

United’s hierarchy, now reshaped under INEOS, are already juggling multiple deals. A move for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba is the current priority, while recruitment staff are also working on bringing in a new left-back.

The centre of defence, though, is becoming harder to ignore.

There are ongoing worries over Matthijs de Ligt’s long-term fitness, and Harry Maguire, now 33, could leave at the end of the season. That combination leaves Michael Carrick exposed, still leaning on a back line that has barely evolved in years.

Securing a title-winning centre-half like Tapsoba would do more than just strengthen the squad. It would blunt growing criticism that United have dragged their feet in reshaping a defence widely seen as past its peak.

Jamie O’Hara did not hold back on Sky Sports this week. “I think it’s a disgrace what they’ve done to Carrick,” he said on Tuesday. “They’ve brought him in. They’ve said, ‘We’re going to back you’. They gave him the opportunity. He [has] done a fantastic job last season to get them back in the Champions League, and they’ve given him two players.

“Youri Tielemans is alright. Great signing. And Andrey Santos, who’s, you know… we’re not convinced that he’s even a decent player yet.

“Manchester United are miles off it, and we’re talking about them being in the Champions League.

“They’ve got the same back four they had maybe three or four years ago.

“Luke Shaw is going to have another season at left-back. Fair play to him. Harry Maguire at centre-back. Come on.

“Like, we’re talking about Manchester United. They’re meant to be trying to get back amongst it.”

That is the backdrop to United’s push for Tapsoba: a manager demanding progress, a fanbase restless, and a new ownership structure under scrutiny.

If INEOS want to prove this is a new era rather than the same old drift, winning this transfer race for a Bundesliga champion at the heart of their rebuild would be a powerful place to start.